Editing symbols

When you as a client hand over your precious text to an editor, the editor will read it over and make notations to give back to you about what things the editor feels need fixing.

If you’re working in a file, the editor will generally use something like Word’s Track Changes function and call it a day. While there are any number of things I don’t like about Word, Track Changes is quite useful.

However, there are times when I want to edit and mark up on paper. Printing out copy, particularly short pieces like emails and ads, forces the eye to regard it differently than looking at it on screen, and I’m more apt to catch things that way. There are standard symbols for marking up copy to make changes so that anyone else reading the markups will understand what the editor means — sort of like editing shorthand.

These are some of the notations I use. I haven’t included really obvious ones like adding an apostrophe or quote marks, because those are self-explanatory. Click for larger images.

(Also, my scanner is just a wee bit out of alignment, and messing with it in Photoshop makes it even worse. grr.)

Editing marks 1

Editing marks 2